Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Cherish the moment

I’m sitting here thinking about what I should write about today (because I’m afraid if I pause it will get lost in the shuffle) so anyway, I’m looking back over the Days events… and I think about the Election… we’re going to have a new president (interesting)… I think about Gas Prices… I saw them for 2.09 this morning (awesome)… but for some reason the thing pressing my mind is something that seems frivolous compared to all that… you see this weekend I am going to have some of my cousins over… and that’s what’s exciting to me… it might seem crazy but they remind me of good times. I wouldn't trade anything for my life now, I feel like I am finally where I should be with God or at least on my way there (no one is perfect) I love my wife and Son… all in all I am happy… but when I’m with my cousins it makes me think of a different time… in a lot of ways it makes me think of my grandparents house… we used to go over there for the holidays and we would all sit in the “middle room” close to the coal stove and talk… because all the men were in the living room and all the women were in the kitchen… then later we made it to the kitchen table… sitting around picking at the turkey and dressing, eating grandma’s cheese spread (that I still can’t get just right) and visiting… laughing… just enjoying each other… Grandma and Grandpa always had stories to tell about when they were younger, or when our parents were younger… I loved listening to those stories… Grandpa was hilarious, he would tell stories and then start cracking up at it… I loved him so much; I miss him more than I could ever say. But anyway when I’m with my cousins, even though we are all different people than we used to be, we still end up sitting around the table talking, and inevitably we start talking about something from when we were young and crazy… I hope that our kids can have a little piece of that… knowing that there is a bond that family has a connection that ties you together. So anyway I guess if I had a thought that I wanted anyone reading this to walk away with it would be this… if you haven’t talked to your Grandparents, Parents, Brothers, Sisters, Cousins… recently, please don’t let it go to long… because one day they won’t be there, and you don’t want to be left wishing that you would have spent just a little more time with them.

4 comments:

Steph B. said...

Do you have to make me cry so early in the morning? JK! Love todays blog!

Jill said...

Those are some of my best memories too... Grandma's house was always the best!!

Anonymous said...

Grandma and Grandpa's house held many good memories, didn't it? I was just telling Mark and the girls last night about racing to the telephone pole by the barn and back to the porch, barefoot. Unless of course the apples were on the ground. Then you had to wear your shoes or get stung by a bee!

Anonymous said...

Ahh..that little yellow house... Those memories still warm my heart every time I drive by thier wishing grandma still lived there. I just always thought it would be priceless moments to watch my own kids playing fox and hen in the front yard, or playing vollyball over those wires in the back yard. Or us just sitting on those porch swings drinking coffee while our kids played. Grandmas house has truly been the center of our family.